RE: Pertronix ignition and tach

To: "Bill B" <gbrowning@carolina.rr.com>,
Subject: RE: Pertronix ignition and tach
From: "Brashear, Jack, N" <JNBrashear@garverengineers.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 14:10:32 -0600
Hi Bill, I went thru this very thing with my Mk2 Sprite and my Austin
Marina, both converted to electronic tachs and Pertronix and both with
negative ground electrics.  Finally figured out that some electric tachs
were manufactured to be (at least) compatible with points only and some
more recent tachs were broader based to also work with Pertronix & Crane
type ignitions.  I can't explain the difference but there apparently is
a reason.  Anyway, here's what I did recently when I finished resto of
my BT7 Mk2:  I converted to all BJ8 gauges including the electric tach
(which needed a professional rebuild) and I used Pertronix ignition.  To
prepare for this I phoned Nisonger in the NYC area and told them my
situation, i.e., negative ground, electric tach, and Pertronix, then I
shipped the tach to them.  They did whatever was necessary to make the
tach compatible with all this.  The tach looks great and operates
perfectly.  Those tiny little numbers at the bottom of the tach face
really do mean something to those who can decipher them.  I've been told
that those numbers starting with the prefix RVC would be good for my
situations but I can't attest that this is the whole story.  Good Luck,
Jack