Choking Problem

To: Healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Choking Problem
From: A2Garrison@aol.com
Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2005 10:12:37 EST
I'm trying to fix a problem that has plagued my BN6 for as long as I can
remember and would appreciate your comments. I cannot fully choke the carbs,
even with the throttle fully depressed, and the little amount of choking I  do
get does not hold position.

My car has the choke cable knob mounted under the dash and just above the
parcel shelf. I've had both solid and stranded wire core choke cables over  the
years and have experienced the same problem with both. None of the cables
have any kind of a locking or dented position.

The force required to move the jets increases drastically as the jets start
to lower. So much so that it is impossible to pull the knob out far enough  to
lower the jets any significant amount even with the throttle fully depressed.

Having the carbs rebuilt last year (by Joe Curto) did not improve the
problem, even after checking and lubricating all the mechanisms. I've removed
the
cable, thoroughly cleaned the sheath and cable, checked it for kinks (none
found) and lubricated it. Prior to reinstalling it, I connected it to the carbs

to see if it would work any better out of the car. Still very difficult to get
 the full range of movement on the jets.

Joe tells me that the jet springs were not upgraded from original.

Any suggestions on how to get full movement and hold it in position would  be
appreciated?

Thanks.

Alan