Re: Choking Problem

To: <A2Garrison@aol.com>, <Healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Choking Problem
From: "Rich C" <richchrysler@quickclic.net>
Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2005 11:39:23 -0500
Alan,
First issue, holding the setting as required:
I was always under the impression that the original choke cable assembly had
a turn to lock feature so the setting would be maintained as desired.
Maybe you need to find a replacement that does this. These are easily
recognized by the slot in the shaft immediately behind the knob. This runs
smoothly in a corresponding flat in the i.d. of the upper cable tube. As you
turn the knob clockwise this should bind and hold as needed.
Second issue, excessive force needed to activate chokes:
On the HD6 setup for your car, when properly set up the first bit of choke
cable travel should only be moving the fast idle cams to speed up the idle.
At this stage there is very little force needed, because you're not yet
pulling the jets down to enrich.
Then you should feel the incresed force needed to move things further. Your
setup will have the cable fastened to the single lever on the second carb,
which in turn connects by way of a tie rod fastened to the front carb.
Binding may be caused by the excessive pinching of the outer cable where it
anchors to the trunnion beside the second carb. In addition I would
temporarily release the choke cable completely and use your finger to pull
up on the jet lever of the second carb and judge whether there is still
excessive force needed to move things. Also make sure that the
interconnecting tie rod isn't either binding in some way, or causing
excessive movement due to wear.
Lastly, you mention twice about "fully depressing the throttle". This simply
opens the butterflies in the S.U. carburetors and if anything causes more
air to enter the equation, worsening your cold starting effect. They do not
act like a North American carb in that respect. Your throttle pedal should
depress only slightly while cranking to aid in starting.
Rich Chrysler