Re: Front Brake Caliper rebuild question

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Front Brake Caliper rebuild question
From: "Peter C." <nosimport@mailbag.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2005 09:32:51 -0600
Alan, and Mark,
        I'm on digest, so a little late on this info and had to paste below.
        Anyway, there are 2 different calipers on big Healeys, early 14P and
later
16P. You are talking about the 16P. (These are the large casting number on
the body near the mounting ear) 16P was a popular caliper for other cars as
well, namely MGC, Triumph, Tiger, TVR, among others. 16P changed some later
on in its run to 16PB. Healeys usually didn't have a 16PB as its caliper,
but the other later cars did. The primary differences between 16P and 16PB
are how the dust boot is retained.
        The 16P dust boot inner lip inserts into a very thin groove in the
piston... the outer lip is inserted into an inner groove in the piston bore
and is held by the OD of the piston.
        The 16PB dust boot inner lip is inserted into a wider (twice as wide as
the 16P) groove and the outer lip is held into a cast boss with groove
above the piston bore by a split steel ring.
        While the calipers can be interchanged as a whole, the kit and pistons
are
NOT interchangeable.
        The proper kit for 16P is Girling SP2501, and piston 64325561. For 16PB
the Girling kit is SP2589 (later changed to SP2959, interchangeable
completely) and piston 64321880. Moss have a picture of the differences in
their TR6 caliper pages.
        The kit you have, Mark, is wrong, return it and get the right one to
match
your caliper, and be sure you get the pistons to match both.
        Hope this helps
        Peter C.
========
Mark -

If I recall correctly, you use the round wires to fix the dust boot to
the top of the brake caliper piston where there's a notch to take the
dust boot (on the BJ8s only).  it should be a spring wire/circlip of
some sort.

Regards,

Alan

'53 BN1 '64 BJ8