Wheels for Tubeless tires

To: "Healey List" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Wheels for Tubeless tires
From: "Bob Johnson" <robert.w.johnson@adelphia.net>
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2005 11:37:10 -0500
On my BJ8 I have tubeless tires. All of the tires have tubes in them and the
wheels are the original 48 spoke wheels. The only problem that I have ever had
with this arrangement was a tire going flat because the tube failed.
Apparently the tube had rubbed against the tire long enough to cause the tube
to fail. When the tire was taken off the rim, there was a lot of "dust" in the
tire, presumably tube rubber. Since that time, my worry is that another tube
will fail. I have about decided that I want to go tubeless. So, what makes a
rim a tubeless rim? I know that it is the shape of the flange on the rim, but
does that little rubber strip that is around the spoke ends really keep the
air in or is there something more? Where can I get replacement rubber strips,
and what are they actually called? (Can't really be called "little rubber
strips" can they?)

Thanks,

Bob Johnson
BJ8