RE: Austin Healey BN3

To: <RAHosmer@aol.com>, <david@bighealey.ltd.uk>, <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Austin Healey BN3
From: "Quinn, Patrick" <Patrick.Quinn@det.nsw.edu.au>
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 09:51:39 +1000
 G'day

I hope this is the last on this riveting (to me) subject.

As far as it's know there are two BN3s still in existence. My car is
BN3/1 that I bought in 1974 and shipped to Australia. I still own it and
unless someone has slipped a papier machie copy past me it is still
safely inside its Carcoon car cover - well it was last night when I
kicked a tyre through the cover.

The other one is BN3/4 that was found in the wilds of Ontario, Canada
around 15 years ago.

Mine is more closely aligned to the standard AH100 while BN3/4 was by
far a more radical design exercise using sedan chassis sections, front
cross member etc etc. Both cars are fascinating to anyone interested in
Healey History and it's wonderful the BN3/4 (the car that isn't mine) is
under restoration.

My car started life as a pre-production 100 but was retained by the DHMC
as a work's hack before being used as an experimental vehicle for the
six-cylinder engine. It is also the first 4-seater Austin-Healey built
as it was taken to Jensens to have them fitted.

There have been many books written on Healeys and Austin-Healeys and as
someone who is fascinated by the history of the DHMC my advice is to
only take note of authoritative publications from the likes of Geoff
Healey, Graham Robson and later on Bill Emerson. When Austin-Healey 100
& 3000 by McLavin and Tipping was published I sent the publishers a 2
and a half page letter outlining the errors in the book and did not
receive a response. When Graham Robson's book was first published I also
sent a short letter with advice of a small error. Within a coupe of
weeks I received a response and it was made right in a subsequent
edition.

Hoo Roo

Patrick Quinn
Sydney, Australia