Re: Oversize Valve Seats

To: healeyguy@aol.com
Subject: Re: Oversize Valve Seats
From: Mike MacLean <macleans@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 04 May 2005 21:10:00 -0700
healeyguy@aol.com wrote:

> Mike
> I used six cylinder exhaust valves in my 100. Can't recall at present,
> rebuilt it over 10 years ago, but I think I recall they were for an
> early (intergrated intake) head and were slightly larger diameter.
> Aloha
> Perry

Maybe some one on the list has the measurements of the head of a six
cylinder valve.  The measurement of the standard 100-4 valve head is
1.415" - 1.420", or about 36mm.  I rough measured the exhaust valves I
got from Moss and they were about 36mm in diameter.  This is correct
according to the 100-4 service manual.  The machinist today pointed out
that the valve seats were very close together and he would not replace
them for this fact.  In effect, he said what I have is what I will be
using.  A few people on the list pointed out exotic possibilities like
Porsche valves.  I suspect somewhere in the past someone used a Chevy
valve as was suggested to me by Ed Kahler.  It makes sense due to the
fact that Chevy valves were more easily obtainable anywhere in the
country.  More research in order.  I've got a lot of possibilities to
check out now.  I love this list.
Mike MacLean
56 BN2
60 AN5