Re: Oversize Valve Seats

To: Dave & Marlene <rusd@velocitus.net>,
Subject: Re: Oversize Valve Seats
From: WILLIAM B LAWRENCE <ynotink@msn.com>
Date: Fri, 06 May 2005 17:11:36 -0700
I have to disagree. Larger inlet valves are advantageous because a larger
port opening makes filling the cylinder easier considering the fact that you
have only the ambient air pressure outside the cylinder to induce the air to
flow.

The exhaust gases, on the other hand, are forced out of the cylinder by the
motion of the piston. Since the exhaust is being forced out the port doesn't
need to be as large. That's why the inlet valve is usually larger (sometimes
considerable larger) than the exhaust valve. Whoever enlarged the exhaust
ports while leaving the inlets alone demonstrated a basic misunderstanding
of physical principles.

The exhaust is going to leave anyway because it physically cannot stay. The
intake charge, however, needs to be romanced to enter the cylinder, Larger
ports with reduced resistance is the way it's done.

Bill Lawrence