Re: SQUEAKY BRAKES - DO I PAY FOR THIS?

To: davidwjones <davidwjones@cox.net>, rob@gto.net, healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: SQUEAKY BRAKES - DO I PAY FOR THIS?
From: "scott@scottjgraham.com" <scott@scottjgraham.com>
Date: Fri, 6 May 2005 14:31:56 -0700 (PDT)
Dave

Thanks - can you clarify for me - do the shims fit under the pads & the goop
goes between the shims and the pads? FYI - I dont mind paying for the shims -
it's just that he won't estimate the labor on the job and tends to learn on the
job and insists that it is the customer's responsibility to pay for his
learning. Needless to say I won't be going back to him for futher work.  In a
smaller market like Sydney with fewer big Healeys than in the US, it is hard to
find guys who really know these cars. However I now know there are better
options than this guy.

Thanks

Scott

davidwjones <davidwjones@cox.net> wrote:
Scott,
I've always done the brakes on my car myself, and have often found that a new
set of front pads squeal. I resorted to using shims and the goop that goes on
them , and it works. You could very easily install the shims yourself, in about
30 minutes.
I don't see the difference whether he had charged for the shims if he'd used
them in the original repair, or if he charges you for them now.  The labor
should be minimal however. -As I said, it could be done while you wait. If you
have him do it, you should probably at LEAST pay for the parts. IMO.
I think that you can get the shims still, at M***, BVL, etc.
Dave J.