brake squeal

To: <scott@scottjgraham.com>
Subject: brake squeal
From: "Mr. Finespanner" <mrfinespanner@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 6 May 2005 18:57:44 -0500
Scott,
I must agree--any reputable professional mechanic should have road
tested your car after the brake work was done and cured any squeal
problems before turning the car over to you.  A mechanic at all familiar
with Healeys would have put in the shims in the course of the job as
SOP.  For him to try to soak you for more $ for 15 - 30 minutes more
labor is also petty and unprofessional, and to me demonstrates that the
man doesn't take much pride in his work.

The available anti-squeal shims are very effective.  Also good is caliper
grease, the best of which is made by Sta-Lube (it will even silence a
Volvo).  Under no circumstances should the adhesive-type goop, like
Disc Brake Quiet or any of the blue or red ones that dry, be used.  The
sticky types that dry to the pad work OK, but they also adhere to the
rubber dust cover for the piston.  Then if the pad is ever removed the
dust cover gets torn, exposing the piston and necessitating a caliper
rebuild.  The caliper grease, on the other hand, helps preserve rubber
bits and also fights rust on the caliper itself.
Doug Reid, 18G Motorworks