Re: 1958 BN6 with wiring problem

To: Ken Stickle <kstickle@rochester.rr.com>
Subject: Re: 1958 BN6 with wiring problem
From: Dave & Marlene <rusd@velocitus.net>
Date: Sat, 07 May 2005 14:24:06 -0600
Hi Ken,

I guess I would isolate the problem a bit. Check for wire colors on the
box.
Terminal #1 - green/brown, #2 - green - red, #3 - white purple, #4 -
green - blue, #5 - green, #6 - green - white, #7 - White - brown, #8 -
green - yellow. With the box oriented with the single screw mount down,
the terminals are numbered 1 thru 4, RH side, top to bottom, 5 thru 8,
LH side, top to bottom, as viewed from the box cover. It would be
possible to get the box cover on upside down & have all the numbering
screwed up. I doubt if this is the situation.

1- Lift the wires on terminals 5, 3, & 7 of the flasher box. Try the
brakes, nothing should happen. If the fuse blows, the green wire between
the brake switch & terminal 5 is shorted somewhere or misconected.
Maybe the stop light switch itself is shorted internally. If the fuse
doesn't blow proceed.

2- Connect the green wire back to terminal 5 & try it.  If it does blow
there is a problem in the box. If the fuse doesn't blow proceed.

3- Connect the white brown wire back to terminal 7. If the fuse blows
there is a short in the white brown wire going back to the right rear
stop/turn lamp. If the fuse doesn't blow proceed.

4- Connect the white purple wire back to terminal 3. If the fuse blows,
there is a short in the white purple wire going back to the left rear
stop/turn lamp.

Steps 3 & 4 are unlikely to be the problem since you said the flashers
work ok.

Note: in all cases where I have said a short, the wire in question could
actually just be connected to the wrong place somewhere. If in doubt,
disconnect the far ends of the wires in question.

With  new wiring there are a lot of places where something could be
misconnected.  There can be unimaginable connections which don't follow
any schematic. The wiring harness itself could be scrambled.  It's
terribly hard to diagnose this type of problem by remote/mail. There are
other ways to test without using so many fuses, but this is the simplest
way if you are not familiar with electrical testing.