Throttle pedal shaft lever slipping (help!)

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Throttle pedal shaft lever slipping (help!)
From: Tracy Drummond <bighealey@charter.net>
Date: Fri, 13 May 2005 10:07:02 -0700
My LHD 1960 BT7 has a throttle pedal with the flat spot on the shaft where the
lever attaches.  I recently replaced all the bushings and cleaned everything up
and repainted the parts when I did so.

My problem is that the lever that attaches to the pedal shaft slips slightly
(just up to the point where the cinch bolt touches the flat spots).

So when I properly adjust the pedal height according to the manual using the
wood block method (1/16 in clearance to firewall edge) I can get full throttle
but the lever slips on the shaft.  This makes it so the pedal does not return
to its original position (slightly lower than clutch pedal/brake pedal height)
but rather is about half way to the floor. Lifting up on the pedal will make it
return.  Then it is rinse repeat, rinse repeat.

It was suggested that I drill out the lever at the U shaped end where the bolt
goes and use a larger diameter bolt.  This would make the bolt flush with the
flat spot.  I would also probably need to lengthen the long linkage rod to
achieve proper adjustment.

Am I making sense?  Does anyone have a better suggestion?

Does anyone have a newer type (solid) lever they would be willing to part with?
The one I have is manufactured from a flat piece of steel and has the U shaped
bend where it attaches to the shaft where it exits the footwell.

Anyone have the lenghts of the throttle linkage rods. I plan on getting some
rod to make some up and perhaps the ones I have are the wrong length.

I have tried tightening this cinch bolt until I think I'll strip a nut (the
car's AND mine), but it just won't stay put.

By the way I need to be able to drive this tomorrow for the Half Moon ay to
Santa Cruz run.

Thanks in advance for better suggestions.

Tracy