sport coil arcana

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: sport coil arcana
From: "Allen C Miller, Jr." <acmiller@mhcable.com>
Date: Sat, 21 May 2005 18:55:15 -0400
I have collected three vintage  Lucas coils. Two are aluminum and dated 1956
and 1958. The 1958 one has a Lucas decal, but is not a sports coil.

The third is a steel body coil, undated, but a bit older. It has a 'Sports
Coil' label. It has a 5-digit model number on the bottom, but different from
the original steel
bodied  coils (45012D) that were stock on the 100-4.

Does anyone know when the Sports Coil was first produced in aluminum?  From
the three specimens I have, it would appear the transition from steel to
aluminum
for general production was some time between 1954 and 1956, and it would seem
logical that the Sports Coil's transition to aluminum would have been roughly
contemporaneous with the general production.

Allen Miller