RE: AUHC at Summit Point

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: AUHC at Summit Point
From: William Moyer <William.Moyer@millersville.edu>
Date: Sat, 21 May 2005 22:24:57 -0400
Trying this again as I forgot to delete the bottom lines the first time.
Sorry majordomo.

 Folks,

I've been to Summit Point and have driven my Healey around the track twice.
Once in the "all Healey event" and once as pace car for a vintage Formula
race.  Luckily I'd brought a helmet.  On that lap I pushed it even though I
was supposed to only go 50.  Sorry guys.  Having 30 Formula cars revving in
your rearview mirror gives you rabbit feet and a greyhound mental set.
After the lap I drove off the track, through the pits and back to the Healey
area and my wife had to literally pry my hands off the steering wheel
(Derrington).  I could not let go.   I wanted to go back on the track.  Even
with the Formula cars?  Not.

A great place with good views of the track all around.  The view -from- the
track is loving that long straightaway under the bridge and hating the
hairpin turns that come before it.  I saw two cars spin out on those turns
that day.  What really surprised me was what the Mini-Coopers could do.
Like beat the Healeys on the turns.   Of course I was young and stupid then.
"Then" being any time prior to today.

I recommend the place and event most highly.  Go out and have a good time
with the sights and smells and sounds.  Back then hot dogs were 50 cents and
you didn't have to walk through a metal detector to get in.  Don't know what
hot dogs cost or metal detection is like now.

Bill Moyer, BJ7 aka Chimera, now with a bad right rear hub spline, I hope.
Meaning I hope it's not the drive train making that intermittent (they
always are right up until they are ubiquituous) vibration at 1700-2000 rpms.
Haven't figured that one out yet.  Yes, I tightend the knockoffs.  No, I
haven't gotten under the car yet.  I hate that.  Either the car has dropped
6" or my stomach has grown 6".  Hmmmmm.   That's why I praying for the hub
spline as the problem.  Wheels are 72 spoke Daytons with about 300 miles on
them, so I don't suspect spoke tick as the problem.  Of course, what do I
know?

  _____