Won't Turn Over!

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Won't Turn Over!
From: "Michael Williams" <mewilliams@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 22 May 2005 02:41:02 -0400
Listers,

I have at last competed installing the new wiring harness in my BN1. With
fresh batteries installed, fire extinguisher near by and fingers crossed, I
turned on the ignition. No smoke escaped - good! I then tried the
headlights, the wipers, etc. All worked and still no smoke escaping. So, I
pressed the start button and - just a clunk on pressing and another clunk on
releasing. When I press the button on the solenoid the same clunk is heard.
The clunk seems to be the starter trying to turn the flywheel but not being
able to.

The car has been sitting for over a year so I was afraid maybe the pistons
had rusted in their cylinders. So, I tried turning the crank nut with a long
1-11/16" spanner. It turns a full 360 degrees but it seems to take
considerable effort even with the more than two feet long wrench. I have
never done this before so I don't know how much effort should be required.
The service manual indicates that, with the car in top gear, you should be
able to push the car back and forth (I think this is suggested as another
method of getting the engine to TDC). I have tried this and the car will
*not* move at all in any gear!
I have pulled the starter and verified that it turns when power is applied.
As previously stated, I have installed new batteries and have verified
proper voltage.

At this point I am at a loss. Can anyone offer any ideas? A few other facts
that may or may not be relevant:

*       Before beginning the rewiring, the car started and ran fine.
*       During this project I also installed a Smitty Toyota 5-speed
transmission and converted to negative ground.
*       Car will *not* move when pushed while in any gear but *will* move if
clutch is depressed or transmission is in neutral.

Any help would be very greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Michael
'55 BN1