Re: lubricants

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: lubricants
From: "Bob Spidell" <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 29 May 2005 15:11:37 -0700
Here's my preferences:

- Engine oil: I have a BJ8, known for showing relatively low oil pressure due
to the
  gear-type pump.  I just completed a 2,800+ mile trip through the Southwest in
  heat wave, and I believe the Quaker State semi-syn oil I used gave me a couple
  more PSI.  This stuff only costs a little more than mineral 20W-50.  I did a
lot of
  research and believe the viscosity index (VI) of an oil roughly correlates
with oil
  pressure when hot.  The QS semi-syn has a VI of 130-something, mineral 20W-50
  is usually 120 and full syns are around 150.  I think the semi-syn is a good
  compromise.

- Brake fluid: I've used DOT5 (silicone) BF for probably 18 years with no
problems
  I can attribute to the fluid.  But lately, I've noticed that some of the
fluid I've bled to
  have a browish color--anybody else noticed this?  I just rebuilt the servo
and replaced
  both MCs--I think maybe there was something in the new cyls.

- Gearbox-O/D: I've used Redline MT90 for over two years and 7,000 miles.  I'll
never
  go back.  One Lister (Alan?) has noted less brass shake in the fluid with
MT90;
  this bodes well for synchro lifespan.  Shifts are smoother and the O/D
engages
  quicker.

- Differential: Redline 75W-90 gear oil.  No noticeable difference from mineral
(not
  surprisingly), but if the MT90 is any indication I expect no problems and
probably
  longer life from the (already almost indestructable) Healey rearend.

- Carbs: I use the "official" SU oil, but I think any 20W would work.  Have used
  engine oil and ATF in the past and not noticed much difference.  Use the
lightest
  oil you can that prevents lean miss on hard acceleration (and only put about
  half-inch in the bottom of the inner piston; any more gets blown out the cap).

- Shocks: Use official Armstrong shock fluid.  Why not--it's not expensive.

- Coolant: Unless you live in a really cold climate, use about 1/3 antifreeze
(green)
  to 2/3 distilled water.  As far as I'm concerned, the "controversy" over
using dist.
  water--something about it being "mineral hungry" or some such hogwash--is
over.
  Most auto experts are recommending distilled, and I've used it for over 15
years
  and the coolant and the inside of the engine stay clean.  Use Redline Water
Wetter
  if you live in a hot climate; it appears to keep the temp down a couple
degrees.
  In fact, if you live in a hot climate you can use straight dist. water with
Water
  Wetter.

- Driver: Arizona Ice Tea with Ginseng ;)

bs

Subject: lubricants