Re: advance ignition timing 3000 MK1

To: tnewton <timnewton@menziesgroup.com.au>,
Subject: Re: advance ignition timing 3000 MK1
From: John Peak <redbn7@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 29 May 2005 15:47:25 -0700 (PDT)
Tim,

While the book says 5 Degrees BTC, what you are really shooting for is proper
full advance.  With a 45 year old distributor you are likely dealing with an
advance mechanism that is not working to original specifications.  First I
would make sure that the centrifugal advance mechanism moves smoothly through
it's full range of motion and is properly lubricated, then I would go about
setting the initial timing such that the correct full advance is achieved (34
degrees, if memory serves).  On an older engine what I usually do is set the
advance, then run the engine at full throttle up a hill at about 3000 RPM.  If
it pings, back off the timing.  If not, advance a little more and try it again.
 Once it starts pinging, back it off until it doesn't and call it good.  Take
note of where the initial timing ends up for future reference.  For me it is
about 1/2 inch ahead of the mark.  Others may use a more scientific method.

John Peak
'59 BN7

tnewton <timnewton@menziesgroup.com.au> wrote:
Hi to all
I am sure this has been covered to death over time, but could some one please
confirm a couple of details regarding ignition timing. What is the general
consensus on how much advance seems to be best, and from the TDC timing mark
on the pulley how many millimetres per degree (in other words what is the
circumference of the pulley divided by 360.
Although my car engine seems to like the present setting, when I checked the
setting it measures at least one inch (25mm) advanced from TDC - I don't know
what this would be in degrees but I suspect this is a very advanced level?
Thanks
Tim Newton