Re: advance ignition timing 3000 MK1

To: "Healey List" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: advance ignition timing 3000 MK1
From: "Bob Spidell" <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 30 May 2005 10:00:21 -0700
Bob,

re:

> OK, how do you make sure that the vacuum and centrifugal advance are working
> correctly?

Get an advance meter (a timing light with the ability to dial-in any advance
value).
Then check total advance against the book (there might be some intermediate
values you can check but I'm too lazy to go get the shop manual ;).  Sears has
an advance meter for about $60--a good investment--but be careful if you have
a positive ground car and the meter case is metal; the case will be hot.

re:

Also, how much "play" is acceptable in a distributor drive shaft?

If you have points and the dwell angle moves more than a degree or two when you
vary engine speeds then you have too much play in the dist. shaft.  Electronic
(e.g. Pertronix) ignitions can compensate for this somewhat.

bs