No Charge

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: No Charge
From: LarryRPH@aol.com
Date: Mon, 30 May 2005 18:57:27 EDT
Listers,

I need advice on a very frustrating problem the has developed with my BN 6.
I searched the archives and couldn't find anything that would help.

My problem started with a battery going dead after about 1 year.   I put in a
new battery and noticed that my ammeter went into a slightly negative range
and the "igntion" light in the dash stayed on. (I should note that the car
never showed a great deal of generation at idle speed. In fact it would  go
into
the negative range if I turned the lights on).

      I had the generator rebuilt and the rebuilder said it was shorting into
the case, had badly worn brushes, and worn bearings. HeI rebuilt it and said
it showed normal generating capabilities upon bench test.   I reinstalled the
generator and the situation (No chage) remained.

I bought a new voltage regulator and installed it.  I was happy to see that
it seemed to rectify the situation - show about 15 amps charge at start and
slowy come down to about 1 or 2 amps.  Turing on all the lights, radio, fan,
etc
would bring it to discharge zone at idle but would go  back to plus when
increasing the engine speed.   I was very happy till I took it for a ride this
afternoon and after about 1/2 hour, it reverted back to its old ways= no or
little
generating at road speed or idle.

I checked all the connections and they seem to be ok.  The belt is tight
enough to spin the generator.   So where do I go from here?. Any and all
suggestions would be most appreciated.    I have a Crane electronic igntion
system and
that has worked perfeclty for the last 6 or 7 years

Larry  Wysocki

BN 6