BJ8 Starter Comes Alive

To: "'healeys@autox.team.net'" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: BJ8 Starter Comes Alive
From: Rizzo Steven D LtCol AETC/XPRU <Steven.Rizzo@RANDOLPH.AF.MIL>
Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 08:09:27 -0500
I had been having no starting problems at all with my BJ8.  I needed to take
a test flight on my new windblocker and also take some pics for Tom Rynne
who designed and built the prototype for me - it worked great, BTW.

So I turned the key and "nothing".  Actually, I heard the fuel pump clicking
so I knew I had power, but no starting activity was evident - no solenoid
click, etc.  Tried several times.  Didn't hit the starter with a hammer or
anything, though.

I began troubleshooting the starting system IAW Norm Nock's "tech tips" and
had no problem in the battery and wiring connections, etc.  However, when I
tested the power to the starter itself by asking my wife to turn the key
whilst touching the starter wire connection with the test light, the light
illuminated and almost immediately following the illumination the starter
engaged and the engine started!!   Worked fine since.

So what was that all about???   My guess is that the starter bushings are
worn and the thing "bound up" inside and somehow coincidentally decided to
free up when I touched the wire connection with the test light.  Wondering
what your ideas on this are and what I should do now?

I think I should take the starter to a rebuilder and have it 'renewed' as it
could do it again at any time.

Thoughts?