Re: BJ8 Starter Comes Alive

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: BJ8 Starter Comes Alive
From: John Miller <healeys@n4vu.com>
Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 09:50:34 -0400
Rizzo Steven D LtCol AETC/XPRU wrote:
> So I turned the key and "nothing".  Actually, I heard the fuel pump clicking
> so I knew I had power, but no starting activity was evident - no solenoid
> click, etc.  Tried several times.  Didn't hit the starter with a hammer or
> anything, though.
<snip>
> I began troubleshooting the starting system IAW Norm Nock's "tech tips" and
> had no problem in the battery and wiring connections, etc.  However, when I
> tested the power to the starter itself by asking my wife to turn the key
> whilst touching the starter wire connection with the test light, the light
> illuminated and almost immediately following the illumination the starter
> engaged and the engine started!!   Worked fine since.
>
> So what was that all about???   My guess is that the starter bushings are
> worn and the thing "bound up" inside and somehow coincidentally decided to
> free up when I touched the wire connection with the test light.  Wondering
> what your ideas on this are and what I should do now?
<snip>
> Thoughts?

If there was no solenoid click, then the place to look is the circuit
that includes the starter switch and the solenoid.  Lack of solenoid
closure trumps anything further downstream, like the starter itself.

Second choice would be a loose connection to the starter which you moved
slightly by touching it with the test light, but your mention of no
solenoid click takes precedence.

A mechanical problem with the starter is a less likely cause of the
symptoms you describe.
--
John Miller