Side exit pipes

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Side exit pipes
From: "Simon Lachlan" <simon.lachlan@homecall.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 14:39:47 +0100
Hi,

I have a MkII BT7, so this applies primarily to its exhaust setup.

I have been wanting side exits for a while now. (Not so - seemingly - noisy
with a RHD car).

I didn't want to fork out for a new a system or enough bits to render my
existing setup redundant.

It always struck me that one should be able to buy a pair of pipes that
attached to the rear of the silencer then right angles off to make a side
exit. The clamp to the rear of the box is ideally placed for this and one is
left with an alternative system that one can bolt on/off in, say, 30
minutes.

I have managed to get a set made in stainless, per the rest of the system.
The pipes are 1 & 5/8ths and this big(ger) bore is achieved by putting these
pipes over the exhaust's exits rather than inside them.

Yes, there is a different sound. Not noisier, just closer. Hard to describe.

Yes, I, personally, prefer the new sound. We have a lot of very narrow lanes
hereabouts with very high banks..the effect of blatting along these lanes is
quite fun.

Power.well, I do think that I notice a difference. (But then I would,
wouldn't I?) Where is this new power? More in finding a continuous stream of
power rather than finding choke points where one has to change gear. I get
the overall impression that the car is breathing better. I suppose that,
since it's got 3 HD6s stuffing in fuel as fast as I can buy it, it helps to
get the exhaust out easier. But, I'm no engineer or tuner.

Cost? For what it's worth to you all, the great majority of whom are not in
UK, fifty quid.

I tell you this just to share an idea that has the potential to save money
whilst leaving the originality option open.

Yrs,

 Simon.