Healey Radiator

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Healey Radiator
From: "Doug Newton" <dnewton@nappco.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Jun 2005 10:25:36 -0500
Hello again everyone- I replaced my original radiator core in my '65 BJ8
with a new style core with more cooling tubes inside, using the stock top
and bottom of the original radiator. I did all this because the newer cores
are designed to handle higher pressures, which allows the boiling point
inside to increase as in conventional cars and the cap will "puke" out the
coolant at higher temperatures.

Anyway, since the stock Healey radiator cap only handles 7# of pressure,
unless I get a cap that can handle 10 lbs. of pressure, then I have lost the
benefits that the new style core allows. Healey radiators have a 1" deep
fill neck and most new style radiators have a shorter one; in other words, I
need to come up with a radiator cap that is designed to fit a stock Healey
Neck (1" deep), but has 10# rating.

I should note that I have been advised that using a radiator cap with more
than a 10-12# rating could cause the top or bottom of the original radiator
to rupture.

I guess I could have the original neck replaced to a shorter version, but
that would be my last resort.

Has anyone other than myself run into this problem and would you mind
sharing the brand and part number of a radiator cap that would work for my
application?

Please advise & thanks- Doug