Rotor Question

To: "Healey List" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Rotor Question
From: "John Soderling" <jsoderling@astound.net>
Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2005 19:49:04 -0700
Hi all,

A friend's BN4 (which I help maintain) recently experienced a rotor failure
that created a significant mess - the drive rivet holding the brass contact
came out, fell down under the distributor plate between the shaft and the
distributor body, seizing the distributor body, spun it 180 degrees (pinch
bolt clamp didn't hold it) and ripped all the plug and coil wires out as the
engine died.  A mess to fix and then retime.  In replacing the rotor, I
noticed I had two types of spare after-market rotors. These two things got me
interested in investigating rotors.

There has been a lot of discussion on this list in the past few years about
the poor quality of the available after-market rotors for our Healeys.  After
reviewing the archives, I'm not sure there is any consensus on which of
several types/brands of rotors currently being sold is better.  Apparently the
OEM rotor's method of securing the brass conducting contact was via a 1/4"
hole in the contact through which the bakelite spread flush with the brass'
top surface during molding, and the bakelite also slightly lapped the outside
edges of the brass.  The current after-market rotors I have have the brass
conductor attached using a drive rivet.

Of my two spares, one rotor has a base material counter weight extending
opposite the brass contact extension and came with a "made in Italy" sticker.
The other has no counter weight, a flat metal spring molded in the back of the
shaft hole to insure a firm fit and no indication where it was made.

Is anyone on the list familiar with these two types of after-market rotors,
and have any opinions on which is better and why?  Is there a better rotor
than either of these currently available from the usual suppliers?  Thanks in
advance.

Vrooom vrooom,
John
100-Six  Erika the Red