Fw: Rev counter query.

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Fw: Rev counter query.
From: "davidwjones" <davidwjones@cox.net>
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2005 12:36:51 -0400
----- Original Message -----
From: davidwjones
To: Simon Lachlan
Sent: Monday, June 13, 2005 12:10 PM
Subject: Re: Rev counter query.

Simon,
Any differences in average speed, ambient temp, prevailing wind??  How much
difference do you think there was in mpg? Your trip wasn't up into the
mountains, and then back, was it? LOL

Once the ticking started, was the tach still working? Have you checked that
the cable is not broken internally? That the internal (square) cable ends are
intact? Have you checked that the cable is not binding in the sheath? Have you
checked that the receptacle for the tach cable in the gauge is nor recessed or
"rounded out"?

I've had all of the gauges apart, and despite the fact that I worked on minute
lab instrumentation products for years, there's not a lot that can be done,
without parts, or unless something has loosened up and come apart. They can be
cleaned and lubed with a light instrument lube, but generally, that is about
it. ---And the instrument face should never be touched, or allowed to come in
contact with cleaners / lubricants, or liquid of any kind. -If the problem is
the gauge itself, you'd probably be best sending it out.

David W. Jones
'62 Mk II BT7 tricarb
Cumberland, RI USA