Re: Rev counter query.

To: "Simon Lachlan" <simon.lachlan@homecall.co.uk>, <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Rev counter query.
From: bspidell@comcast.net
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2005 19:03:19 +0000
Lower octane fuel generally has greater energy content than higher.
Higher octane allows higher compression ratios without detonation
("knock"), which allows more efficient combustion (more than offsetting
the lower energy content).  Pure ethanol, for example, has an octane
rating of 110 (I think), but has only 2/3 the energy content of gasoline.

Theoretically, all else (wind, slope, air density, etc.) being equal--they
probably weren't--you'd get better mileage with a lower octane fuel
(especially if you throttled back to prevent knock).

Having the hood up is more aerodynamically efficient.  IFF all else is equal,
I'd expect 1-2mpg more with the hood up (note modern convertibles have
lower EPA mileage ratings than their fixed-head equivalents).

bs