Re: Tricarb Mystery

To: "Rich C" <richchrysler@quickclic.net>, <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Tricarb Mystery
From: "davidwjones" <davidwjones@cox.net>
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2005 00:02:40 -0400
Rich,
There are three things that come to mind, the third one, being, I think the
most likely.

1.) You have checked, and the piston in the middle carb moves freely?

2.) The carb insulators / gaskets are intact with no gaps?

3.) In order for the throttle linkage to turn the throttle shaft and throttle
plate (butterfly) in the carb,  the tiny forked lock washer on the carb's
throttle shaft have to be intact. This keeps the nut between the throttle
shaft and the throttle linkage from loosening. If this loosens, the linkage
will rotate but the throttle shaft in the carb will not, and the carb throat
will stay closed.  -Also if the throttle disk was installed wrong-way-round on
the carb's throttle shaft, the bevel in the disk can cause the throttle to jam
closed.
Also, there is a "lost motion" lever on the throttle shafts for the front and
rear carbs. It is pinned to the shaft with a tapered metal pin. You will want
to check that the pin is not missing or broken, allowing the lost motion lever
to rotate without rotating the throttle shaft in the carb.

If these descriptions are unclear, contact me off list. I can e-mail you the
appropriate pages from the Factory parts list if you do not have them, and
would want them.

David W. Jones
'62 Mk II BT7 tricarb
Cumberland, RI USA