BJ8 starting problem

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: BJ8 starting problem
From: <fmags@cox.net>
Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2005 20:55:50 -0500
I wonder if anyone can help me on my starting problem on my '65 BJ8?

It takes alot of cranking to start and full choke, even in the summer.  In the
fall and winter it's worse.  It has been doing this for several years now.  I
have had the car since around 1990 and it always started fine.  I think this
has been a gradual change over the years.

I did a major tune-up recently: points, plugs, cap, rotor, condensor, ignition
leads, and it helped only slightly.

When it starts, it takes full choke and it needs more.  After 5 or 6 tries it
will fire a little longer each time, and then it will start running, but it
sounds like it is only on 1 carb.  After 15-30 seconds, the other carb kicks
in and it runs fine.  Once it is running, it runs great at all speeds.

Anybody have any suggestions?

Thanks,
Frank Magnusson
Wichita, KS.