Sports Car Stamps Issued

To: "Healeys Mail List" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Sports Car Stamps Issued
From: "Quinn, Patrick" <Patrick.Quinn@det.nsw.edu.au>
Date: Mon, 5 Sep 2005 16:26:42 +1000
G'day Again

I am overwhelmed by the response. Many thanks to all you took the
trouble to write back with offers of assistance, providing details of
what's available etc etc. Over 35 years of Healey and Austin-Healey
ownership if there is one thing I have learnt about owners is that they
are extremely kind and considerate. This has certainly been shown here -
Thank you to all and I will write back to each one of you.

Interesting question was asked by one member who was wondering why the
Nash Healey and not the Austin-Healey.

My impression is that the stamp issue is of American sports cars and not
British. This of course gives rise to the question of whether the Nash
Healey was American or British. With an English chassis, English/Italian
bodywork and an American drive train it just confuses the issue.

However the significance of the Nash Healey in the evolution of the
American sports car is often overlooked. To automotive historians the
Nash Healey is seen as the first post WW2 American sports car.

If you were to look at any authoritative publication on the Corvette you
will see that the Nash Healey rated very highly with the likes of Ed
Cole and Bunkie Knudsen at GM who were impressed that a small
manufacturer like Nash Kelvinator and tiny manufacturer such as the DHMC
could get together to build such an impressive vehicle both on the road
and at Le Mans. If Nash and Healey could do it why not Chevrolet. Plus
who was a stalwart of Le Mans and had raced there a number of times in
the early 1950s - one Zora Arkus-Duntov who is now known as the father
of the Corvette.

Once again many thanks.

Hoo Roo

Patrick Quinn