Reverse Gear Lockup

To: "Healey Discussion List" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Reverse Gear Lockup
From: "Terry Blubaugh" <tblubaugh@verizon.net>
Date: Mon, 05 Sep 2005 09:01:46 -0700
Hi All,

Thanks to all the great listers who responded to my question re: reverse gear
lockup.  I must have received thirty emails offering suggestions.  Some as far
away as Germany and The Netherlands.

As most of you suggested, the problem turned out to be an OD that was still
engaged.  However, the real culprit was the throttle relay shaft
bearing/grommet that seats in the bulkhead, and holds the back end of the
shaft where the control rod drops down.  The bearing had torn out of the large
grommet over the years, allowing the horizontal relay shaft to drop down,
causing the OD throttle switch to become out of adjustment.  Because of this,
the OD would not release.

Thanks for all your help.  This is a great list.

Terry Blubaugh

BTW, I drove the Healey about 200 miles over the weekend, and there is no
apparent damage to the OD.