Re: Rear wheel bearings

To: Stephen Hutchings <s.hutchings@rogers.com>
Subject: Re: Rear wheel bearings
From: Dave & M <rusd@velocitus.net>
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2005 17:05:50 -0600
Hi Stephen,

There IS a "barrier on the other side". The inner bearing surface fits
over a machined surface on the end of the axle housing. A shoulder
"barrier" on this housing fits against the inner bearing race to locate
how far the bearing can go onto the axle housing. There is an oil seal
inboard of the bearing that also rides on another machined surface of
the axle housing.

The bearing inner race is clamped between this inner axle housing flange
"barrier" & the nut on the outside. The bearing outer race is clamped
between the recessed shoulder on the carrier & the outer axle flange. A
spacer ring assures that the bearing outer race is clamped securely
between this shoulder & the outer axle flange.

The outer bearing race is, or should be, a press fit in the carrier. If
the axle retaining nuts, lug nuts, are not torqued to 50 ft/lbs the
outer bearing race will not be clamped tight enough & the recess in the
carrier for the outer race may be stretched or worn to a point where the
bearing is no longer a press fit.

The inner bearing race is a slip fit (loose) over the axle housing
shoulder.  During acceleration or deceleration, the forces involved try
to move the bearing & the carrier on the slip fit axle housing shoulder.
The only thing resisting these forces is the end clamping of the bearing
between the nut & the inner axle flange. If the bearing can move, it
will tend to wear the axle housing shoulder. It also makes it difficult
for the oil seal to do it's job.

If you only drive a couple of thousand miles per year, The whole issue
may never become a problem.

Regards,
Dave Russell
BN2