RE: AH in Pieces

To: "William Moyer" <William.Moyer@millersville.edu>,
Subject: RE: AH in Pieces
From: "Peter Ryner" <pryner@verizon.net>
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2005 20:51:15 -0400
When I checked ebay the listing was already pulled.  Anyway, I did my '67
Healey in 1980.  Took over a year of my time, working every evening after
work until 11:00 in the summer, no work in the winter as I was in North
Dakota.  Spent over $8,000 in parts and traded a Mercedes for the paint job.
In today's dollars I sure that parts would be over $25,000 and a good $10K
for a decent (not great) paint job along with a good year of your own labor.
I took the car apart so I knew where everything was and where it went back
to.  If you're buying a basket case and haven't worked on one before I would
add 6 months to the labor time and probably 20% to the cost.  I did rebuild
the engine myself with only machine work on the cylinders and the head, but
I was lucky and didn't have to break into the gearbox or diff.  That could
cost significantly more. I agree with other posts, find a complete car for
your first and still plan to spend a LOT of money and time.
Pete