Re: Mystery

To: I Erbs <eyera3@comcast.net>, Healey List <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Mystery
From: Earl Kagna <kags@shaw.ca>
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 13:51:17 -0700
Ira:

A friend of mine with a similar problem added a clutch booster to his 12 cyl
E-type.  It worked well, but the engine wasn't capable of delivering enough
vaccuum to reliably feed two servos (brake and the added clutch servo).  He
wound up adding a wrecking yard sourced belt driven vaccuum pump from a GM
diesel passenger car for the clutch - it ran fine for many years until he
sold it.  I don't see why an added clutch servo on a MK I BT7 would not
work, although it wold be trial and error as to what size (ie: how much
boost) would work on the clutch without destroying the necessary feel.
Interesting thought!

A couple of ideas:

You could upgrade your BT7 to a BJ8 clutch - involves trans/od removal and
changing to a BJ8 flywheel (or having the BT7 flywheel redoweled), and
installing a 3 piece BJ8 clutch.  I've done this to my BT7 - it's a great
improvement over the original clutch and requires noticeably less leg
effort.

You could consider a Smitty / Toyota 5-speed conversion - I've done this on
my BJ8 - also much less leg effort, even a bit less than the stock BJ8
set-up.  Probably something to do with the geometry of the Toyota clutch
arm - gives a better mechanical advantage.  The original Healey clutch
hydraulics are retained.

My wife also has a left knee problem (not from basketball!), and both
Healeys are a bit easier for her to drive with these modifications.

I guess the only way you're going to find out what will work for you would
be to locate a couple of cars in your area with co-operative owners and try
them out.  There are several that I can think of in the Portland area (you
are still there, are you not?).

Earl Kagna
Victoria, B.C.
BT7 tri-carb
BJ8

I'd like a servo in my clutch system. I/ve had 3 left knee surgeries and
could use some boost to my clutch. Anyone out there have experience with
such a modification, or suggestions on how to increase work without
increasing effort, at least in relation to clutch actuation :)
Ira
59 BT7