Re: Rear End PM

To: "Mark and Kathy" <mgtrcars@galaxyinternet.net>, <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Rear End PM
From: "Bob Spidell" <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2005 17:31:23 -0700
Mark,

Didn't see any replies to this so I'll take a stab.  You're the first person
I've heard
doing "PM" for a Healey rearend ... they're almost indestrucible.

Anyway, sounds like you replaced the thrust washers on the spider gears (why?).

The STP shouldn't hurt, but if you're concerned you can clean them off with
solvent
and air dry them.

I wouldn't worry about presoaking the bearings ... they'll get lubed as soon as
the
car rolls and if they're sitting out in the open the oil will attract dust and
maybe some
grit.

The "knock" sound is due to the pinion/ring backlash.  The book calls for
0.002" ... you
won't know if your backlash is correct without checking it with a dial
indicator.  But, if
it wasn't making a "clunk" when you pulled from a stop and whatever wear is on
the
hypoid surfaces is minimal, smooth and evenly distributed you're probably OK.

bs

Subject: Rear End PM