Re: Healey Club Magazines

To: peter.svilans@rogers.com
Subject: Re: Healey Club Magazines
From: "dwflagg@juno.com" <dwflagg@juno.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2005 14:37:41 GMT
Thanks Gary for your insider's insight into the world of publishing.
This is where I have a problem with "monied" (not all) people becoming
"involved" in the "hobby". Reminds me of the small group that started a club of
devoted boat owners to enjoy their common interest. Then they decided it would
be nice to have club "house". At some point, they were "discovered" and the
group grew in size. Then it was decided that the club house needed a restuarant
and eventually a pool. As membership is this club became more expensive, the
original small group was forced out and the more "upscale" crowd now just sit
on their boats sipping mixed drinks. As with everything we need to remember our
roots and retain our real heritage. Our magazine is for us, not to provide a
window to the "upscale" world. Pop open a beer and enjoy your Healey. If you
ever want to experience a real Healey good time try the SVBCC show at
Waynesboro, Virgina the first weekend in October each year. The show next year
is their 25th and it has not rained on the parade yet. These are real, down to
earth people who love their British cars and actually drive them!! MHO.

Doug
'56 BN2

guess
every improvement in the magazine format has its price, but nevertheless  the
trend towards Healeys becoming more and more "upscale" is inevitable.
Philippe's jaw-dropping post re aluminum heads underscored this.

The magazine will no doubt at some point mirror this trend.  Maybe we can all
someday go on one of the the Sports Car Market Letter's chartered cruises
("for OUR kind of people- don't even need to mess with the actual
cars") to
the Bahamas.