Re: Swag line...

To: "Taylor, Todd S" <todd.s.taylor@lmco.com>, <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Swag line...
From: "Bluechipracing" <bluechipracing@snet.net>
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2005 14:41:14 -0400
Todd:   An itch can be accomodated by a little tugging and hammering, or
just scratch it, but a whole inch is another story!

Seriously, Although the contour of the front fenders of the later healeys
with roll up windows is the same as the earler sixes, the flange which
attaches to the A pillar is diffirent.  They can be made to fit....I have
done it successfully.  The rears should be identical.

A good body man can do anything with a piece of metal ($$$), but an inch
mismatch in the swage line might indicate something is radically wrong
somewhere.   I have restored several big Healey bodys, usually with panels
from an assortment of different cars, and I have never seen even a half inch
swage mismatch..1/4" or 3/8" maybe, but I don't remember more than that.  Is
the misalignment at the the front or the rear of the door, or both?  is it
too high or too low?  The door can be moved up or down a little, but then
you may have alignment problems at the top or bottom.

If you live nearby, I have several doors and fenders you could try, just to
identify where the problem is.  Or, you could make some measurements say
from the bottom of the door to its swage line at the front and rear....also
measurement of the swage line location on the fenders from the bottom.
Meanwhile, I could measure some of mine to get a distribution, and you could
compare with yours.

Jim in CT
BN1, BN2, BN6, BN7