request for an article

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: request for an article
From: "William Moyer" <William.Moyer@millersville.edu>
Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2005 22:16:44 -0500
Folks,

I've been thinking recently about the massive accolades we all place on the
value of this message board.  I think I'd like to see an article in one of the
national magazines about the overall influence of this site on the
preservation of the marque.
A close friend told me long ago when my Healey was in decline that the best
thing I could do was join a club.  He was right then and it is the best advice
even now, but at the time I didn't feel I could do it because my personal car
was a piece of crap and I thought everyone else's was better (the early 80's).
The message then as now is to ignore those feelings and get involved.  I still
think that local involvement is very important, even essential.
Having said that, I also believe that the information exchange that the
internet has provided (and our gracious host has established) is one of the
most important developments in the preservation of those rusted wrecks that
are still out there and the multitude of "90%" cars that we hear so much
about.

Here's what we give to current, potential and  new owners.  Hope.  Lots of
people sell hope.  Every state lottery is in the business of selling hope.  We
give a much larger return.  All state lottery's return less than 50%.
I don't think the benefit from the list is solely individual to individual.  I
think it keeps small businesses alive.  I think it convinces people that they
can do what they might not think they can do.  I think it provides a dampener
on enthusiasm when that is needed (like thinking every Healey is worth $100K).
On the other hand, we can help someone who is taking a $5K basket case into
whatever level they want to take it.
This is unique.  If  I had this resource in 1980 my Healey wouldn't almost
have been sold for scrap.  My hypothesis is that the internet has had as much
to do with the preservation and increased value of the marque as inflation or
volatile auction prices or Jay Leno or anything else.  What does anyone else
think?

In a personal vein, in the last week I've take both my son and daughter for a
ride in the Healey.  To be politcally incorrect we went to our sportsman's
club and shot some targets to pieces.  They both drove home (separate trips)
and it was a great 30 miles for me even if not for them hearing about how to
downshift into second even though it's not synchronized.  Match engine speed
with trans speed, pull back slowly, do it all quickly.  No matter.  I'll have
the memories forever.

Bill Moyer, BJ7, Chimera, on his last few drives prior to storage for the
winter