Re: Anti-freeze

To: "davidwjones" <davidwjones@cox.net>, <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Anti-freeze
From: "Bob Spidell" <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2005 18:24:05 -0800
Just checked a bottle of Prestone ... a 50/50 mix with water is
supposed to protect down to -34F.

My BJ8 holds 2.5 gallons of coolant.  You could drain a little
more than a gallon, add a gallon of anti-freeze then top up with
water and you should be OK.  Run your engine up to running temp
and run the heater after adding the AF.

Prestone makes an AF that is supposed to be compatible with
all types/colors of AF (it's green).  It's a name brand, and Costco
sells a 2-gallon package for about $15 or so.

The "safe" AF uses propylene glcol instead of ethylene glycol.  It's
more expensive, and the AF properties aren't quite as good as the
ethylene glycol type.  Large auto parts stores (AutoZone, Pep Boys, etc.)
might carry it.

FWIW, I use distilled water in my Healey, and have for many years.

bs

Subject: Anti-freeze