Re: Constant clearance Steering column

To: <SAINTADUB@aol.com>
Subject: Re: Constant clearance Steering column
From: "David Ward" <david@bighealey.ltd.uk>
Date: Sat, 5 Nov 2005 22:57:40 -0000
This posting is simply beyond my understanding completely.
Back in the late eighties when so many Austin Healeys were been imported
back into the UK mainly from the American mainland, at that time there were
simply no right hand drive steering boxes available anywhere, so I simply
commissioned a pattern maker to make patterns and core boxes for the
steering box with a view to producing them in limited batches.
A foundary was engaged to run these off in SG iron, then the machine shop
carried out the finishing work.
Absolutely dozens of measurements were taken and "trial" castings produced
and assembled, it was quickly established that the pin in the steering arm
has to run dead centre in the worm in the dead ahead position to eliminate
the free play, as the steering is rotated and the pin moves either up or
down the worm the pin simply leaves the centre position the further you get
to the end of the steering lock, this is the simple lesson of engineering.
I have already been down that road, been there...done that..........some
time ago.
There are certain modifications that I do carry out to make for lighter more
positive steering, but I am not prepared to release this information, at
least not yet.
I hope that this information helps.
Regards.
David.