Clutch Slip

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Clutch Slip
From: WAS <Waschu2@charter.net>
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2005 13:03:19 -0500
Hi,

        Does anyone have a source for a heavy duty pressure plate for a 9" BJ-8
style clutch. Have put several thousand miles on a Smitty's conversion
and the clutch has started to slip. The slave cylinder adjustment is
fine and is not preloading the clutch. The conversion was done with
Smitty's heavy duty clutch disc that was developed to prevent this from
happening. I thought the next step would be a pressure plate with higher
clamping forces then stock. I am hoping someone can tell me that a
Jaquar or some other pressure plate will work. This is a fresh engine
with high compression, hot cam, Hd-carbs, header etc. I am sure the
extra power is contributing to the problem. To make it worse I am
replacing the 4:11 rear end with a 3:9 for lower highway rpm. The car is
a 1962.

                                        Regards
                                          Wayne