Running Hot

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Running Hot
From: "Leonard Berkowitz" <drberkowitz@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2005 19:56:03 -0500
After 21 years of trying to cool down my beauty I am cautiously optimistic.
I have rebuilt the engine, rebuilt the stock radiator, installed and removed
the following: oil cooler, six blade California fan, Texas cooler, and
electric fan with thermostatic and manual turn on. No matter what I have
tried nothing seemed to keep my engine from approaching 212 F.  This past
week I had a local radiator shop convert a stock radiator from four rows to
six.  They utilized my original top tank and modified the lower tank to
accommodate the larger core.  The new unit was a little tricky to install
but it fits in nicely and looks stock unless you look real closely.  I took
the car for a test drive today reaching sustained speeds of about 70 MPH and
then sat in traffic.  I then let the car idle for 10-15 minutes in my
driveway.  After all that I never reached 190 F. Yes I know that the ambient
temperature was only in the upper 60's but usually the described run would
have sent my temperature guage to close to 212 F.  I can't wait for summer
to return to see how we do with ambient temps up around 90.

Wish Me Luck!!!