Dollies

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Dollies
From: "Dave Murphy" <roadwarriordave@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2005 01:19:41 -0500
I have two different types of dollies. I bought both types from Moss and
wanted to put a plug in for the self jacking types seen at
http://www.mossmotors.com/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=31213.

I just love these self jacking dollies because they are lightning fast to
use, are easy to roll because they have big wheels, and most importantly - I
don't need to worry about denting the frame on the Healey or getting dirty.

A pair of these self jacking dollies cost $360 which is over twice as much
as two pair of the regular kind (at $160) that I also have, seen at
http://www.mossmotors.com/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=31213, but the
self jacking dollies are definitely worth their 4X premium in time saved and
frame damage minimized.

I keep 3 cars in a 2 car garage - a TR6, a BJ8 and a BMW MINI Cooper. The
TR6 is on 4 standard dollies on the left side of the garage. The Healey is
in the center and tight against the TR6 with its left rear wheel on one self
jacking dolly. The right self jacking dolly sits folded up under the right
rocker panel of the Healey. The MINI is a foot from the Healey on the right
side of the garage. When I want to drive the Healey or TR6, I pull the MINI
out of the garage. I pull the one self jacking dolly from under the Healey's
right rocker panel releasing  the folded foot lever and spreading the frame
apart as I do so. I space the 2 rollers in front and behind the Healey's
right rear wheel, flip the jack lever to "UP", step on the jack 3 times,
pull the car 3 feet to the right by the bumper. Then I flip the levers on
both dolies to "DOWN", step on each pedal 3 times and the car is on the
ground and the dollies are free. I spread the frames and remove and store
the dollies. I start the Healey and back it out of the garage. All of this
takes about 2 MINUTES or the time it takes to read this paragraph!

The standard dollies under the Triumph have small castors and take more
strength to manouver. But to get the Triumph onto or off these, requires ten
to twenty minutes to jack up the frame of the car 4 times plus more time to
wash my hands and usually change clothes. I'll probably replace these
standard dollies with the self jacking type next year.

The only downside to the self jacking dollies is their extra 3 inch width
due to the side-mounted foot lever. I stagger the Healey and TR6 so this
extra width slides under the Triumph. But on the other side, to make parking
the MINI easier, I quickly remove the dolly and store it nearby under the
Healey.

Dave Murphy, SEMAHC
Dearborn Michigan