What grade aluminum revisited

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: What grade aluminum revisited
From: WWSCPO@aol.com
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 20:58:26 EST
Hello,

I just had my BJ8 returned from the sandblaster and find myself without
several lengths of flange on my front shroud along with several other
disappointing discoveries.  The good news is that I have access to a 100-6
shroud that
is just as sick, but in other areas, so I'm thinking of mating good  to good
for a decent endproduct.  I have heard that using the same  "vintage" metal is
best and to MIG weld, rather than TIG weld, is better because  of the halo of
inert gas that MIG welding provides.

Also, what grade of aluminum, 6061 or 3003, are the replacement shroud
sections from Moss made from?

Thanks for your thoughts,

Bill Schumann  BJ8 38046
Nahant, MA