Wire wheels

To: "Healey List" <healeys@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Wire wheels
From: "John Soderling" <jsoderling@astound.net>
Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2005 21:48:16 -0800
I put 72 spoke wires on my BN4 about 5 years ago.  Standard 72 spoke wires
will rub the front drums.  Talk to the folks at British Wire Wheel because
they have 72 spoke wires with special offset to clear the front brake drums.
I used the offset ones on all four corners and they put the wheel & tire
outboard an inch or so which looks great.  Gives the Healey a wider stance
look.  Hendrix WW can probable provide the same wheels.  Buy only Dayton's
as they have Perma-True technology which means the wheels don't have to have
the spokes retightened & wheels trued after the first thousand miles or so
of use.

I can cruise at 80 MPH and feel less vibration in the Healey steering wheel
than with my Lexus.  I should also add that my great Mexican wire wheel guy
balance the front tires on the car.  He's the best.  First he balances them
on a regular dynamic balancer.  If he doesn't like the way they are
rotating, he will remove the tire from the balancer, break down the tire,
shift the tire around on the wheel and put it back on the dynamic balancer.
He may go through this process several times with a tire.  Then when he is
satisfied with the dynamic balance, he puts the front tire on the car and
has me sit in the car and put one finger at the 12 o'clock position on the
steering wheel while he spins the tire at high speed with a motor driven
wheel tire spinner.  Using years of experience, he fine-tunes the wheel
weight positions until my one finger can detect no vibration.  He then
repeats this process with the other front tire & wheel.
Vroooom vrooom,
John