Re: Checking Camber measurement

To: "Steve B. Gerow" <steveg@abrazosdata.com>,
Subject: Re: Checking Camber measurement
From: "Chris Dimmock" <cd3000@bigpond.net.au>
Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2005 21:36:33 +1100
Steve,

I'm not familiar with the Cape Trunion setup. How much adjustment does it
provide? Just a bush - or bush & offset bolt?

Most offset trunion bush only solutions (an offset bush only) can only
provide somewhere around 1 degree of total adjustment - so that means about
1/2 a degree of negative adjustment (its an eccentric circle). So if you had
1 degree positive camber in the front when you started - you will probably
have 1/2 a degree of positive camber when you've finished.

'Most' Healeys have about 1 degree of positive camber on the front. YMMV.

They also often have postive camber and toe in on the rear live axle. Yes -
some are 0 camber and 0 toe in - but usually they can be up to 1/2 degree of
positive camber on the rear, and some toe. Really.

So - I'd guess your measurements could be quite accurate. So - without
knowing the range of adjustement from the Cape method - if all the wheels
now look the same - you could have 1/2 degree of positive camber on every
wheel; or 0 degrees on each wheel.

Just to check - take the car to a wheel alignment shop that uses laser
sights to measure camber and toe & alignment. Doesn't cost much - and you
get a computer readout. At least you'll know what you are tring to adjust,
and you'll get an accuate measurement front and rear.

Maybe start with a reality check - what do your eyes tell you - from about
10 feet away, on a level surface? Positve? - negative? or none?

Best

Chris
http://www.myaustinhealey.com/austin_healey_technical_articles.html