Re: cylinder head

To: KingR44916@aol.com
Subject: Re: cylinder head
From: Blue One Hundred <healey.nut@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2005 16:51:25 -0800
King -

You definitely don't want to cut this off because it will cost you well
over $100 to rebuild your temp guage, if you can even find someone who can
do it properly.

What you want to do is go buy a 5/8" Flare Nut socket from Snap-On:

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?P65=&tool=all&item_ID=2123&group_ID=2
62&store=snapon-store&dir=catalog

This is the single best tool you will ever use to get this sucker out of the
cylinder head.  Best thing of all, because of the six sided flank drive
design, it won't damage the temperature sensor nut, no matter how hard you
turn it.  It's a bit expensive but its a good tool to keep in your kit every
time you need to take the head off.  If you are lucky, from time to time
these come up used on Ebay, that's where I bought mine for $20.

The other option is to get a 5/8" spark plug socket and cut a 2" notch in
it, then use hose clamps to keep the socket from spreading when you turn it
on the temp sensor nut... although this is not as good solution as the Snap
On Flare Nut socket.

Good Luck!!!

Alan

'53 BN1 '64 BJ8