Re: Grill Questions, BJ8

To: "tom felts" <tomfelts@earthlink.net>, <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Grill Questions, BJ8
From: "Rich C" <richchrysler@quickclic.net>
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2005 14:15:31 -0500
Hi Tom,
The grille assembly needs to have the upper brow snapped into the oval
surround, then the assembly pressed carefully into place in the aperture,
lower brackets into the aperture first. Have fun not gouging paint. Then the
fasteners can be introduced into the assembly as follows.
According to the original Parts Book, the studs with the hex in the middle
were only fitted to the 2 bottom grille mounting positions (left and right).
The upper ones used 3 plain studs (no hex surface) that screwed forward into
the captive brow nuts. Then the remainder of the stud shank cleared through
the upper brackets of the oval surround and through the shroud holes, with
flats, locks and nuts running onto the stud shanks to tighten things in
place. Meanwhile the left and right lower outer hexed studs ran forward
through the lower grille surround tabs and into the captive nuts on the
riveted  brackets on the shroud. A spire bolt ran through the centre lower
shroud bracket with it's head toward the front of the car, through the
surround and into a captive fender style clip on the grille teeth centre
bracket.
The rest of the lower left and right hexed studs received the slotted tabs
of the grille teeth assembly, and the lower flange of the radiator air
intake deflector, and the strap type steady bracket for the inner wing
splash shields, held there with flat, lock and nut.
There were two studs on the extreme ends of the upper brow that pass through
the little holes in the shroud flange at 3 and 9 o'clock, and draw the ends
of the brow securely into place with locks and nuts on the back side.
There was another captive fender style short clip on the surround bracket at
12 o'clock with spire bolt that further held the surround and teeth assembly
together.
Rather a complicated assembly to say the least!

Rich Chrysler