Re: Muffler

To: "Ron Fine" <RonFineEsq@earthlink.net>, <N5572B@aol.com>,
Subject: Re: Muffler
From: "Rich C" <richchrysler@quickclic.net>
Date: Sun, 1 Jan 2006 15:21:11 -0500
Every year or so we have this same discussion. I seem to remember someone
was taking a survey to see if there was enough interest in a really good 2
in 2 out muffler that could be made for a 6 cylinder Healey.

The original mufflers fitted to the cars from new were made by Burgess in
England. The cross section of the body was absolutely flat on the top and
bottom surface and the mounting bracket was fairly short, allowing for the
installation to tuck fairly close to the car, taking advantage of the relief
cutouts in the outriggers.

The most noticeable difference from anything made today was how really quiet
it was.

I was able to find one of these n.o.s. in the early '80's and fitted it to
my then fresh tricarb BT7 restoration. It was really smooth and quiet and
the ground clearance was better than all those aftermarket Hambro systems
that were running around at the time.

If one of these original Burgess mufflers could be found and copied exactly,
we would have a really excellent muffler. Of course, don't stop there, the
Hundred (1 in 1 out) and the early 100/6 (2 in 1 out) had the Burgess brand
mufflers too.

Rich Chrysler