Healey and car related

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Healey and car related
From: <pennell@cox.net>
Date: Tue, 3 Jan 2006 21:52:15 -0500
Listers,

On a recent trip alone to NC I had plenty of time to think about stuff.  Most
of it not too productive - just staring down the highway.

For some reason the following came to me.  Suppose you take a car in good
condition and the front end aligned perfectly.  With both front tires pointing
straight imagine a line running along the pavement straight ahead from the
center of both front tires.

Now the steering is changed such that the front of both front tires are 1/8
inch left (or right) of exactly straight.  After one revolution of the tire how
far to the left (or right) of the centerline is the center of the tire now
displaced?  For simplicity, assume the tire has a diameter of 24 inches.

Keith Pennell