Re: asbestos

To: <RAWDAWGS@aol.com>, <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: asbestos
From: "Allen C Miller, Jr." <acmiller@mhcable.com>
Date: Sat, 7 Jan 2006 07:12:23 -0500
I bought my kit from Moss for the 100-4, and the cuttings were serviceable
but quite thin compared to the original asbestos. I re-processed them with a
bit of buildup using a bit of burlap and a beige furnace cement bonding to
build the thickness, then applying a watered slurry of the cement to conceal
the burlap. This almost perfectly approximated the molded texture of the
original shields, which appear on one side to have been pressed smooth
against a lining of canvass on one side, and against a burlap textured cloth
on the other. for reasons only the ghosts can tell, the rougher side was
left showing in the compartment.

This application has seen 5000 miles including some rainy weather, and there
is no sign of breakdown. If you want to do this, please contact me off-List
and Iwill give you the practical tips. I can vouch that the process works,
and can be adjusted to match the textures of a later 3000's shields using a
finer cloth to embed.

Allen Miller BN2M